Thursday, June 01, 2006

Showdown

Eastern Conference Finals Game 7 - Pregame

I'm wearing my Brind'Amour jersey and a 'Canes hat all day today in preparation of the game tonight. I expected to be a bit restless last night, but I slept well. I'm calm this morning. I have a good feeling about the game tonight.

Keys to the game

  1. Directed Emotion - Both teams will be hyped up tonight. Will there be stupid penalties? Has Lindy Ruff gone too far and pushed the wrong buttons? Which captain will carry the team on his back?
  2. Special Teams - Goes without saying. By far, the 'Canes have had superior special teams this series. The power play has been hot and needs to continue to be so in order to win. They need to have a strong kill.
  3. Discipline - Stay out of the box!
  4. Puck Possession - Faceoffs will be key tonight. Brind'Amour needs a great performance and the other centers need to pick up their game as well. The forecheck and turnover battle will be the story of the game for both teams.
  5. Get a lead - The 'Canes would be better served by grabbing a lead early. Making the Sabres play the desperation game opens them up a bit and makes them more vulnerable. When they collapse and block shots, it's tough to come back.


I wouldn't be surprised if this game goes to overtime for a third consecutive game.

No comments: