Monday, June 19, 2006

Victory

Wow, what a game, what a series, what a playoff, what a season. I don't even know where to begin. When Williams got the empty netter, my wife leapt into my arms and the crowd went wild. I'm sore from standing the entire game, my voice was pretty much gone by the second intermission... just amazing.

Looking back at my pre-game checklist:

  1. Erik Cole - very physical, drew the penalty that lead to the game winning power play goal. Once Cole turns the corner on a defenseman, they have to either muscle him off, let him go, or take a penalty. The only defenseman on the Oilers that can push him off is Pronger. Spacek.. not so much. Great play we've come to expect from 26.
  2. Vasicek out, LaRose in - check. Rosie played a great game. His energy was noticeable.
  3. Jittery? - Not sure. The Canes did play like their backs were against the wall. I think the Oilers were surprised how physical the Canes were coming out of the gate. I was surprised.
  4. Brind'Amour - Didn't score, but he was great defensively and won some key draws. He did what he needed to do.
  5. First goal - Aaron Ward. Check.
  6. Unlikely scorers - see above. Also see Kaberle, Frank. Craig Adams should be on this list too, but the NHL decided to take it away. My list would have been perfect.


Overall, the physical play had Edmonton back on their heels. The Canes were pounding them, which was surprising. The penalty kill was solid, the Canes didn't take stupid penalties, Cam Ward was awesome. Just an all around excellent game. I'm really tired and I still haven't recovered my hearing, so I may be missing something. Speaking of hearing, the arena was the loudest I've ever heard it - Just deafening.

The things that stick in my mind: Kevyn Adams blocking a shot and taking it off the hand. Cole turning the corner on Spacek. Williams scoring the empty netter and celebrating with Staalsy. The look on Glen Wesley's face when the game was over. Kristy Yamaguchi in tears while holding Brett Hedican. Brind'Amour lifting the cup. The families on the ice.

There's also one thing I need to get off my chest: Holly Wilver - look, girl, I understand you're singing the anthems on international television... but you need to learn when to shut your damn mouth. When the crowd is singing that loudly, let them sing. Don't fight them. Very annoying. That was the only bad thing of the night.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Still awake. *sigh* I think I'll try after I've had some sleep and time to think about it. My hearing is just now starting to get to normal levels (still buzzing).

The biggest impression I'll take away from the game is the energy in the arena. Just something else. Anyway, more tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Yo Chris it's only 10:45 in Arizona. Get out of the rack and raise some hell!!! Roddy set the tone with his hit on the Latino Leprechaun. AWard nailed him as well. I'm glad you got to see history live and up close.

Black Dog said...

Congrats.

You've experienced a seventh game Stanley Cup win live.

Not a lot of people have.

Enjoy.

Chris said...

Thanks, guys (and gals). It was worth every minute. Now I just hope I'm not priced out of my seats next season. :-)