- I've been watching hockey my whole life. I've been playing for several years, although I'm a novice skater. Even if I knew nothing, my opinion is not any more or less valid than yours just because you're Canadian. Hockey isn't rocket science.
- I don't care how fast you sell out your game. I have season tickets to the Hurricanes and I have my Finals tickets. That's all that is important to me.
- I don't care how loud your arena is. The RBC is plenty loud - I know from personal experience. I'm not concerned with whipping it out and having a pissing contest.
- I don't care how many Stanley Cups your franchise has. It has no bearing on this series.
- I don't care why your fans are superior to the fans here in North Carolina. This is all subjective and, again, has no bearing on the finals.
I don't care about Edmonton. It's nothing personal, but it is a place that just doesn't interest me.I won't say anything nasty about Edmonton and I fully expect the same in return. Eventually I'll make my way to see a game in Edmonton one day, but that will be down the road. I'm sure on that day, when I get a chance to explore the city on my own, that I'll come to love it. The most I know is that it's "E-town" and that's from a book.The first part was uncalled for and I apologize. It didn't intend for it to be rude but it came off that way.The second part is incorrect according to the natives, although it still is a good book.I restored the E-Town reference due to a little research on my part.- If you're friendly and polite and want to talk hockey, you're more than welcome. Otherwise, go away.
Thanks
-Chris
23 comments:
Wow - getting mean in the pre-emptive strike!
Those Ottawa fans really jaded you. :)
GO 'CANES!
(from a guy who knows nothing about hockey, but a lot about soccer.
Carolina should be the clear favorite in the series, but not the sentimental favorite. You've got all of Canada against you, while most Americans are tuning into NASCAR.
Game 1 is much more important game for the Canes. They need to get ahead early in this series.
I'm not getting mean, I'm just making things clear from the get go. We played Buffalo, Jersey, and Montreal, not Ottawa.
It doesn't matter who the favorite is. That doesn't give either team a free goal or anything. I think the long layoff will hurt Edmonton. It hurt every team with one this post season.
The "Canada/North-bias" AND the fact that Edmonton had a dynasty in the 80's, which we'll never hear the end of, is exactly why I really didn't want to face the Oil.
BUT, bring it on...contrary to what the media AND fans think, this is to be settled on the ice, NOT through a bunch of stupid remarks and stereotypes.
You said it SB. Without fail, everyone seems to think we're going to get destroyed in the next series. It should be fun to prove them wrong.
I guess it was teh Montreal fans, then...
Carolina's getting plenty of respect nationally from what I can tell. Both Melrose and Burnside on ESPN.com have picked the Canes, who are my pick as well. You're right in that the 9 day layoff will hurt Edmonton. Should be fun to watch.
Chris... I think we're going to have to concede one point to the Oilers (female) fanbase. They expose bare breasts.
Thanks for stopping by last night. Nice to meet you.
Apparently the the whole of Canada and the Northeastern US are rooting against these Hurricane usurpers. A little "us against the world" will trump "they've got champagne" as a motivational angle any day.
roy: The 'Canes fanbase has a bunker mentality due to constant attacks from just about everyone. We have accepted that no one wants us to succeed. The fact that we play in the same arena as NC State only exacerbates this.
d-lee: No problem. It'll be hard not to run into you considering where you sit.
cason: It is us against the world.
d-lee said:
Chris... I think we're going to have to concede one point to the Oilers (female) fanbase. They expose bare breasts.
That is a point for them, no doubt. It would be more amusing if they did so in the dead of winter though.
Chris... I think we're going to have to concede one point to the Oilers (female) fanbase. They expose bare breasts.
Those ladies are neither fans nor ladies.
Loxy: We know, we're just teasing. I'm hoping for a good series.
Red: I deleted your comments because you're a troll. I'm not going to descend to your level, but I'll clear something up for you and anyone else who has reading comprehension issues. This post is not a slam on Edmonton or its fans. It's a general disclaimer to warn people like you that I'll delete your posts. This is the last response you'll get. You're not welcome here.
desdemona: I appreciate what you're saying, I do. You're misunderstanding the message.
I am a hockey fan first, Hurricanes fan second. I watch any game on and have seen Edmonton many times this season and in season's past.
What I don't want is hordes of so-called fans swamping my blog with insulting and derogatory comments or with insightful hockey analysis such as "Edmonton > Carolina". The things I listed were all "arguments" from fans of other teams on why their team was going to win.
I don't need someone who doesn't know me tell me about myself. I know I'm a fan of the sport and of the Hurricanes. I'm sick of people from across the country telling me I'm not just because of where I live.
No, again you're seeing insult where none was intended. I have no problem with someone saying Edmonton will win. I have a problem when "Edmonton>Carolina" is the only argument they're putting forth.
You all are also putting many additional words in my mouth, so I'll have to call pot and kettle on that.
I've never called myself a hick or a redneck. You're generalizing. I think it is misguided when local fans reinforce horrible stereotypes like that.
As for an actual hockey argument (yay), I think depth on defense is an interesting point to bring up in favor of Edmonton. I think Edmonton is stronger on the upper end of defense, but as a unit Carolina is deeper. Edmonton pretty much plays the top four (and Pronger half the game) - if Pronger or Smith goes down with injury, would anyone be able to pick up the slack?
mudcrutch79: Yes and no. Not as in "take a cheap shot", but if Pronger is going to literally be playing half the game, you have to take every opportunity to finish your checks against him. He has a history of injuries and is bound to be at least a little banged up at this point. We'll see how the long layoff affects him.
Desdemona: I'm not saying anything about big names being the only important ones, I'm just saying that Pronger and Smith take up a lot of ice time between the two of them and it would be a bigger hit to the Oilers to lose one of them than it would be for the Hurricanes to lose one of theirs.
Laviolette has the same affect on the Canes and they buy into his system, so that should be something interesting to watch for.
2, 3, and 4 may be bragging rights, but they have no bearing on this series. The noise level at both arenas is a wash. You may disagree and that's fine. It's not a point I'm going to get red in the face about. That's why it's not important to me. The way franchises sell tickets (holding for season ticket holders, scalpers scooping up large quantities) makes the figure reporting for speed kind of silly. It doesn't really matter. The Canes have sold out already for the Finals. The Stanley Cups in the past are important to the team's history, but they don't mean anything to this team, this series. Gretzky, Messier, Fuhr, and Kurri won't be strapping on their skates on Monday.
I don't have to "deal with it". This is my blog, you see. If I were to go to an Oilers blog then yes, I would, but for someone to come into my space and act like that is rude, disrespectful, and low class.
I'm not bitter. It has nothing to do with that. Maybe I'm naive to think that people from different parts of the world can discuss something intelligently without resorting to name calling and childish antics. I have never gone up to a fan from another team at the RBC Center and treated him as an inferior just because he is not a Hurricanes fan. I often enjoy talking to opposing fans during the game, especially since my seats are on the side the opposing team shoots twice.
When I go to other arenas (NYI, NJD, WAS, LA, ANA, SJ so far)I am always respectful of the home team while I cheer on mine - it can be done. When someone comes to a Hurricanes board or my blog, I expect the same. It's simple courtesy.
I'll obviously take your word on the E-Town thing. Like I said, I don't know much about Edmonton. That is not to say that I don't care about Canada, other NHL franchises, or the history of the NHL. I'm actually a big fan of Alex Hemsky and Ryan Smyth, for what it's worth. I've enjoyed watching them all year.
Oh, I definitely agree that Edmonton has the better defense and Carolina's strength is on offense. Both teams play team defense though. It should be a good matchup.
I wasn't expecting it from Edmonton fans, although I have witnessed it from Edmonton fans on several fan forums prior to my post. I know it doesn't represent 100% of the fan base, but it is out there in force. It has happened in every series and it is just an ugly part of sports. Hockey, in particular, is very territorial.
I wish it weren't so. Hockey is the only sport I'm truly passionate about. I can stomach football, a little baseball, and I absolutely loathe basketball, NASCAR, and most other sports.
I love hockey and I love talking about it, but there is no talking with some people. Desdemona, you have at least been willing to talk and for that I thank you. You may not agree with me, nor I with you, but that doesn't mean we can't be civil.
You are being civil. :-) I have dealt with Philly fans for many years - I grew up in Northern Virginia going to Capitals games at the Cap Center. Philly fans were common there and not much different from how they are now.
A lot of people were angry with management with how they dealt with the price increases. Many fans, right or wrong, gambled that the Canes would get past Buffalo and decided to buy Finals tickets in lieu of Conference Finals tickets. It could have been handled better and no one more than me wants the arena to sell out. Thankfully it has.
Again, passion for your team does not necessarily equal venom for your opponent. I like the Oilers and the Sabres. I'm not too wild about New Jersey and Montreal, but that's OK. I am very passionate about my Hurricanes, but that doesn't keep me from appreciating the opponent. I was often the only person in my section applauding a great play by the other team. I mean, if it's a good play it's a good play, no matter the sweater.
Hockey is played on the ice, not in the hearts of the fans or the minds of the pundits and analysts. If that were the case, I'm sure Ottawa and Detroit would be playing in the Finals and we wouldn't be having this conversation.
The truth is as you say - we'll see. We can throw out stats, conjecture, theories, and wild stories, but it doesn't matter. It's just passing time before the puck is dropped.
Good luck. May the best team win.
:-) Yes, it can be. Communities form, which is kind of cool. You get to see the same people over and over.
The only part of Canada I've been to is right on the Alaskan border when I was on a shore excursion. It was beautiful.
So what team do you follow? People have been picking against Carolina every series. It's almost comical and we've come to expect it.
I have a link to that site on the right margin. I don't normally check out the forums there though. I'll have to give it a look.
Leafs, eh? That does have to be tough. I'm sure Coach Mo will do you guys right.
I know you said that you don't care, but you should. Don't you WANT the best fanbase that there is? Don't you WANT to be sold out at every game? You should want it, not just for your team, but for your sport, the best there is - hockey.
It is my lot in life to be misunderstood, evidently. I care about the RBC being sold out. I don't care about out-of-town fans telling us how quickly they sold out (Buffalo). I want hockey to grow here and I care about hockey staying here.
There are reports, fact or fiction, that Carolina didn't sell out game 7 of the ECF.
"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victim to a big lie than to a small one."
That's all I'm going to say about that.
And Chris, if you think that it's your lot in life to be misunderstood then you haven't seen people getting all upset over my posts on Fanhome lately.
Post a Comment