Personally, I've been watching since I was eight. We lived way out in the suburbs (everything within an hour and a half is considered a "suburb") of Washington and the nearest ice rink was 30-45 minutes away in Manassass (for those of you who had to learn about the US Civil War), so I never skated as a child.
The first time I stepped on the ice was around 4-5 years ago, I think. I've played off and on since then, although I've been off for a few months since my son was born. I hope to jump back on a team either at the half-way point of this season or the beginning of the next season.
I'm actually not a horrible skater (I don't act like a weeble-wobble on the ice), but my crossovers are somewhere between "nonexistant" and "horrible". I have good straight away speed and I can stop fine (better to my right), but my mechanics are bad. I keep meaning to get some good lessons one day, but time and money when you have two small children is not always forthcoming.
My skating would be much better if I could get out to the rink every once in a while. I used to go during work for an hour (around lunchtime) and I probably should start doing that again. I miss it terribly. The problem is when you're only skating once a week (in a game) it doesn't give you a whole lot of opportunity to really improve. Losing about 20 lbs. would help too.
Friday, June 16, 2006
Question: Do you play?
I was having a conversation with Black Dog Hates Skunks in the Injury thread about playing hockey. I was curious - how many of you out there play the game as opposed to just watching it? I reposted my comments from there, with a few minor edits for clarity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I played a bit of pond and pick up hockey as a kid in Ohio (before global warming?), one year of organized league hockey in seventh grade, then intramurals in college. I play C league out here in Tucson. On my first shift in game one of this summer season I screened my own goalie scored a deflected own goal. I also have a 2 minute slashing penalty in the books that I took after the bastard elbowed me in the mellon.
I'm 38 and first played when I was five. I've been playing almost as long as Glen Wesley has been in the NHL.
The first year I played we didn't have facemasks - had to wear a chinguard but no other facial protection.
And bodychecking right from the very beginning all the way through my teens. Now in Ontario body contact doesn't begin until 13, I believe.
There's some ancient history for you.
CB: 2 PIM? That's it? heh.
Ron: I grew up playing soccer, baseball, and basketball myself. Mostly baseball. I find that funny because I hate basketball (professional anyway), I watch baseball only during the playoffs, and I watch soccer only during the World Cup.
macndub: One of my best friends is "brown", but large - I keep trying to tell him that if he learns to skate he would make a hell of a defenseman. He keeps telling me "Bunch of white guys with sticks? Not this brother." He's a funny guy.
Des: Toe pick. heh. I actually remember seeing Kristy Yamaguchi (Brett Hedican's wife) and Erik Cole's wife at a pick up game a few years ago. Kristy is tiny! Still, it was fun to watch. Erik's wife is pretty good.
Black Dog: Our rec leagues are non-check, not that there isn't physical contact or anything, you just can't run anybody. The C league is beginners and the older guys who just want to play for fun. Unfortunately, some of those older guys are really good. They don't skate fast, but they can stick handle in a phone booth and they make you look really bad. :-)
I played while I was in the miltary on Sqn fun teams. Lets see dislocated shoulder , knee issues, and screwed up ankles. So now I don't play at all. I skate with my kids. But I know my limitations.
The game is truly great when played on natural ice with bunch of buddies with a fire burning beside the old pond.
I wish I could play--I can play street hockey fine. But ice is a problem because I can't skate.
Yet.
Times have changed now - as I said in Ontario and most provinces there is no contact until 12 or 13 and in the houseleagues (recreational) none at all, depending on the league.
No contact in nearly all men's leagues - I have a friend my age who plays in a contact league still. I think he's nuts.
Growing up in the north, we had a neighbourhood outdoor rink (each neighbourhood had one) with a clubhouse. The rink was full out because the city rec leagues played outdoors - so boards, penalty boxes, benches etc.
So - after school, after supper, weekends, that's where we were. Sound like a fogie (apropos for Fathers Day weekend) but 30 below and we were still out there playing.
The ice was generally down from about November through March - real ice, not artificial.
This was before global warming - from about Nov 15 to March 15 no warm days - Jan/Feb twenty to thirty below daily.
We were young and apparently, not too bright. Of course this was before computers, we only had 2 TV channels, so it was get outside and stay outside.
As for my Dad ....
Maybe I'll post about his hockey experiences tomorrow.
I've played since I was 10 or so, but never really got better at it. For 6 months of the year I skate with a group of 15 guys on Thursday nights in pick-up games.
Like you, my crossover needs some serious work. Last spring I signed up for a power skating course and only made it to 2 of the 8 lessons...it was harder then hell and on Sunday nights from 10:00 to 11:15. I couldn't pry my ass off the couch...stupid Center Ice Package.
I've played with some of the Trailblazers women on various teams. One of my college roommate's sister is/was the goalie for one of their teams - Michelle Bench (although she's since married and I don't recall her new last name).
One of the families that sit near us (good friends of ours) have their kid in youth hockey. He was selected to be a goalie for the East Coast Eagles. They're very excited.
Twins! That poor girl! Tell her I said hey next time you see her.
Got an extra ticket for Game 7? :)
Only if my wife decides she can't take the stress.
Post a Comment