Saturday, June 10, 2006

SCF - Game 3

So we have a series after all. Edmonton employed a trap and Markkanen played very well to win 2-1. The Canes had their chances but couldn't capitalize. Like I said in the preview, Edmonton needed to outwork the Hurricanes, which I think they did. Both Oilers goals were the result of hard work (traffic and a deflection for one, crashing the net for the other).

The crowd seemed to boost the Oilers and lit a bit of a fire under their butts. The Canes weren't especially affected, but it was enough. I thought the biggest difference was Markkanen. The Oilers played solid defense in front of him and blocked a lot of shots.

It has been move-countermove so far in this series. Edmonton employed a trap, really clogging the neutral zone, and it's up to Laviolette to counter that in game 4.

3 comments:

Chris said...

I think I got the just of it. :-) My friend Sophie (she's Belgian) translated it to "twig of love". Both translations are amusing.

d-lee said...

Yeah. I agree that Mcgeough is terrible. I said after game one that I thought he wouldn't be back. I guess I was wrong.

There were some really soft "tripping" calls on both sides, and Mcgeough was with whistle on most of those. Devorski actually called a decent game. In general, I hate him, but he's been fair thus far.

Oddly enough, I've found myself screaming about Smyth being alone out front all series. He often gets left alone, and on the game winner, Kaberle was playing matador defense, allowing Smyth to crash the net.

That, too, will have to stop

Chris said...

Laviolette has been the master of adjustments all post season. I think we come back and win tomorrow. We haven't lost two straight since the first two.