Congrats to the Oilers on a great, desperate game last night. The Hurricanes were flat and out of sorts all night, a fact obscured by the fact that Eric Staal was the only person who showed up for the Canes and he had two of the three power play goals. That game never should have gone into overtime. The Canes were lucky to have the game in the position to win at all and it didn't surprise me in the slightest that they lost it.
At the opening faceoff in overtime I locked my eyes on Pisani and had a bad feeling. It was justified when he picked off Stillman's weak pass to Staal and buried it. Let me tell you, that goal felt like a punch to the gut. I thought I was going to throw up right there in my seat.
I can't speak for the rest of the Hurricanes fan base. I've found over a long period of time that I generally am different enough from most of my neighbors that I have no business speaking for any group outside of myself.
The opportunity to win the Cup is rare. The opportunity to see it live, at home, is even more rare. It might not happen ever again. Even though I don't necessarily agree with them, I understand why fans from Toronto, Buffalo, etc. say the Canes fans have not suffered enough to win the Cup. It's not a valid argument, but I understand the feeling. It's like the proverbial rookie who loses and thinks "Well, I'll have plenty more chances to do so." It doesn't work like that.
The fact that the Canes blew the chance to do so tonight fills me with so much emptiness that I truly can't express it. It's possible a large portion of the fanbase (the so-called "bandwagon fans") don't realize what they missed. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that - they are enjoying the run and the good feelings that come from winning. With luck, a percentage of them will stick around and become hockey fans. That's the point, in the end.
For me, though, last night hurt. After a regular season loss, I don't read the various message boards for at least 12 hours, maybe even 24. Last night I turned off the radio post-game show and drove home in silence. I didn't want to listen to the interviews, the excuses, the ravings of angry fans. I had serious trouble reading the paper this morning - I didn't really read the sports section at all. I glanced at it for a few seconds. I had on the Morning Mojo this morning and I still had trouble listening to it. It's too painful to listen or read anything about last night's game right now. Maybe by Saturday, but I'm not holding my breath.
I want the win more than anything else and it'll count at Rexall just as much as it would here, but no one on the team or in the stands wants a game 7. Anything can happen in a game 7. One unlucky bounce or poor defensive zone coverage (I'm talking to you, Wallin) can cost the game and the series. I know what we, as fans, had the chance to experience tonight. That chance, a once in a lifetime opportunity, may be gone. If for some reason Edmonton claws their way back into game 7 and wins it all, a true possibility, tonight will stick with me for a long time. I just have to believe in the Canes, believe in their ability to rebound, to come together and put 60 solid minutes of hockey together and end this series.
I updated the post on my interview with CBC, for those of you interested. I'm still trying to get a copy of the clip.
Thursday, June 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Great post Chris.
After G1 I, as well as most Oiler fans, hit rock bottom - to feel as if we had G1 in the bag and then to lose the lead, Roloson and then the game the way we did ... man. Then after G4, well I was kind of resigned to a Canes' win. Anything can happen but it seemed as if the writing was on the wall.
The Canes still have a margin for error but what would be worrisome for them is that they may have some injury concerns now. If Ward and Weight are out and other guys less effective then the Oil have a better chance and then if it gets to a game seven as you said anything can happen.
As you said, and I'm sure the players know it too - this might be a once in a lifetime chance - its been 16 years since we've been this far. Also see Cubs, Chicago, White Sox, Chicago, Red Sox, Boston etc.
Its been some ride - for obvious reasons I hope we see G7 - how fun/nervewracking would that be?
Yeah, it would be crazy. I think the fans would start to develop ulcers. My worst fear (health wise) would be Game 7 overtime. I think people would just start collapsing (in both cities) from the stress.
I would be shocked if Ward is not in the lineup for Game 6. Weight too, for that matter. I'm surprised that Erik Cole hasn't arranged another CT scan or X-Ray of his neck. That guy wants to play more than anything.
I would think Ward will be back in - not really sure what it was other then "upper body" - unless he was concussed.
Weight I think may be done. He came back to the bench but I think it may have been to lend verbal support and to take part if they won. Main reasoning for this is that he did not play a shift - the fact that there was a PP and he did not play leads me to believe it may be a shoulder and he can't handle the stick. This is conjecture and if he can play he will but I'm thinking he may be through.
I think Cole would be in there if he could for sure but the nature of the injury ... not really one you can come back from early, I'd think.
Game 7 OT - I couldn't take it.
Assume the fetal position.
Post a Comment