Well, I just spoke with a producer from CBC and it looks like I'll be on a pre-game fan panel tomorrow before the game. I think they need to find an Edmonton fan for some sort of point-counter point. She said it would be a five minute segment. Sounds like fun. Hopefully I won't horribly embarrass myself on national (Canadian) television.
Update
It was a short (2 minute) segment with Portia Clark of CBC News at Six Edmonton. It was a live feed that aired around 7:45 locally, so about 5:45 in Edmonton. Portia was very nice, although a little short (she was standing on a block of wood. heh)
I went to the back lot where all of the media set ups are to meet Stephanie (the producer) and Mark Connolly, the sports reporter. My wife and I got there about 7:30 and chatted with them, along with the Oilers fans (Shane, a friend of his, and his wife/girlfriend - I didn't ask). We had a good time waiting.
While we were standing there, we were passed by Steve Levy, Barry Melrose, and Clay Aiken. The two girls recognized Clay and Shane's significant other (I've never been good with names) had a picture taken with him. My wife commented that he had "Nick Rhodes hair" [Wife note 1: Nick Rhodes circa 2006, not 1984] for those of you old enough to get the Duran, Duran reference. They also got a picture with Melrose.
The interview itself wasn't too indepth or anything. She asked Shane and I what we thought our respective teams needed to do in order to win the game. I told her I thought if the Canes skated hard and brought the effort, they'd win more often than not. Shane's answer wasn't that different from my own. She then asked us to cheer for our team and we were out. Our significant others were in the background, which was cool, even though my wife almost chickened out - the Edmonton contingent talked her back into it. [Wife note 2: I did not chicken out! I thought it would look bad that the Edmonton contingent was all decked out with neon signs and then it was just little old librarian me standing behind you in her autographed Erik Cole jersey.]
In talking to them, I discovered we sat in the same section (they are in row S, we're in row C). They're season ticket holders who just happen to be from Edmonton. Shane's brother is actually a Hurricanes convert, which is pretty funny. I'm going to try to contact them about getting a copy of the segment - I'll probably post it on youtube and link it. It might take me a few days (they're understandably busy).
Tuesday, June 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
20 comments:
I think it's for the Edmonton 6:00 news.
They'll do their best to make you look stupid, dude--you'll get questions like "why do you think that the South deserves hockey?" and "What makes you think that the Hurricanes deserve to win the Cup over a Canadian team?"
Just be cool and you'll be fine.
Yeah, well. Like Clint said - "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." I'll do my best. Wish me luck. :-)
I think you should mix it up a bit with those folks. Maybe start the interview by going after the notion that Canandians "deserve the Cup". And then try and get the footage of the interview and post it on your site.
Well, I know they post the newscast after it's over (30 minutes, according to their site) so I'll definitely try to get a feed linked here.
I have an idea what I'll say about "deserving the Cup". I'll probably be thinking about it all day. I just have to remember not to talk too fast. :-)
All this talk about whether we deserve it or not is silly. Whoever wins deserves the Cup. Also--yeah, most people didn't grow up playing hockey in the South, and that means a lot of us are new to the sport. Shouldn't that make hockey fans happy? New fans buying tickets? Also, PLEASE don't call this "Redneck Hockey" or "Mayberry Mayhem." That’s all stereotypical and condescending. Call us 'Caniacs. I'm a true-blue Southerner, but I don’t follow NASCAR, nor do any of my friends. I’m not a redneck. This is hockey, plain and simple. Good luck! You’ll do great.
Laura, you've essentially just said what my position is. :-) Good for you - we're on the same wavelength here.
I don't expect it to be a hockey quiz or anything. We'll see how it goes though.
Let me know if you can link to it or, failing that, how it went.
Hope it went well.
Game six, here we come.
I'll contact them about getting a clip. I might have better luck with it at home. They have a clip of the show online, but it's a RAM file (Real Media).
I'll update this post with how it went.
I ran through the entire file and didn't see it, although they were doing a funny segment about asking fans in other Canadien cities how many Oilers they could name. The answer? Not many.
I hate to ask something so trite, but was Clay Aiken wearing a gold-ish jacket? Did he have a scruffy beard? A guy my husband kept calling "Clay Aiken" was sitting right in front of us and was wearing some fancy clothes. Just wondering.
Good post. Sounds like fun. Figured it would be like that - CBC is. well, nice.
Not many Oiler fans outside of northern Alberta. I'm one but most outside of the NHL cities themselves are Leaf or Habs fans.
Plus the Oilers aren't exactly brimming with household names - Pronger, Peca and Smyth probably are the only ones who are really really well known, due to Olympic participation. Guys like Pisani could probably walk down most streets without a second glance from anyone.
*lol* Laura, that question made me laugh and feel a little better, so thank you for that at least.
No on the gold jacket (that I recall) and a big, definite no on the scruffy. I shaved that morning and I had much more scruff than he did - I think it would take him weeks to match my twelve hour stubble. *grin*
I imagine he was in a private box somewhere, if I had to guess - not mingling with the common folk.
Black Dog: I find that fantasy pools tends to teach people a lot about players and where they play. The NHL should sponsor a huge fantasy hockey league with a big prize.
It's funny how much more people pay attention when money is involved. I don't even play for money in my fantasy hockey leagues, but I damn well have a good idea of what players are on what teams before the season starts.
That is certainly possible. I'm waiting to hear back from the producer so I can figure out what the deal was.
I just spoke with the producer and she's going to send me a DVD with the segment on it.
Also, my wife commented to me that it was most likely a live shot...
They were throwing off to commercials and the like. They also shushed you guys when you started laughing off camera. If it's not live, that can be edited out/redone. So it seems odd it wouldn't have aired. (Although possible).
Yeah, I got the impression that it was a local Edmonton feed.
As far as Brindy chopping up the ice, I am so not getting into the middle of an argument with you (or anyone else for that matter) and AQ. *lol*
I'm sure it's out there somewhere. I did hear something about that too, in passing, if that counts for anything. Nothing I can verify, but I heard it mentioned somewhere.
To clarify - it would be like the difference of NBC (national) and NBC (local) - each area has its own affiliate and they don't necessarily share 100% of the content. *shrug*
Post a Comment