I know d-lee calls Justin Williams Viva (and I'm not sure why). AQ and others call Brindy Warchief. I don't know if the folks in Columbus have a nickname for Trevor Letowski, but it seems quite obvious that it should be The Dude. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
It just seems right.
Monday, July 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
I should let DLee explain the Viva bit, but here goes (sorry, dude, I got here first).
At the first home game vs. the Rangers last year, in the "Ask the Hurricanes" Q&A segment that is shown on the Jumbotron at the RBC, players were asked, "Besides Raleigh, what is your favorite city?" Predictably, a couple of guys said New York, a few said Toronto, and Eric Staal, perplexingly, said "Cary." Justin Williams' answer, was weirdest of all: it sounded to me (and to a lot of other people, too, apparently -- DLee sits directly opposite the arena from me at the games) like he said "France." Justin Williams' favorite city was, in fact, an entire country! Several folks in the crowd chuckled at this geography lesson, and at least one person coined a new nickname for him: "Viva."
(Should be noted, however, that a review of the clip from the Hurricanes site using headphones and sophisticated audio analysis software reveals Justin's real favorite city: Phoenix. DLee believes it is a cover-up, that the clip was removed from the site for a short time and when it was restored, Viva's answer had been re-dubbed as something intelligent. Hmm. Boggles the mind.)
Not possible--Mike Dunham is The Dude, as glossed about three seasons or so ago by Brian Leeds of hockeybird.com (because Dunham looks like he's a stoned surfer dude).
The Big Letowski is a good one--that's what CKNW Canucks color guy Tom Larscheid's called him a time or two.
Mystery solved. haha.
Well, Dunham doesn't play for us and The Big Letowski and the Dude are pretty interchangeable.
Pff, I'm still sticking by calling Mike Dunham "The Dude".
Yeah. What Bill said.
I still maintain that the folks at galeforce media performed a cover-up with the Justin Williams thing.
For the remainder of that game, and for the next few games, I and the couple beside me would shout "Vive La France" whenever Williams had the puck. That was shortened to Viva at some point.
I had already planned on calling Letowski "Dude" or "The Big Letowski" interchangably.
As an aside, now that AWard is gone, we won't have people incorrectly calling him "Wardo". Cam is "Wardo". Aaron Ward is "AWard".
I will, someday in the near future, post something about the nicknames I have for all the Canes. I did this once before, but I don't think all of them were covered.
I'll go with AQ here, I always called him The Big Letowski while watching games.
but "Viva" is Spanish.
yeah. I know "Viva" is spanish. As I said, It started out as "Vive la France", and I use Viva in print because it's more recognizable. I want people to pronounce it the way I do, and spelling it that way is the best way to get that across. Technically, my pronunciation is linguistically wrong, as there wouldn't be so much of a pronounced "-uh" at the end, but we're splitting hairs when we get to that point.
Just wait till I explain why Chad Larose is called "Sharpie".
Effing Dr. Frank and his Magical Fun-Killing Pills.
heh heh.
Anyone up for a road trip to Pittsburgh on my birthday?
October 14. Retribution Day.
anyone up for a trip to vancouver? it'd be nice to get up there and see some of those great 'nucks bloggers and take in a good game.
Post a Comment