I was in a discussion on fanhome concerning how the goon is disappearing from the game. I read an article in the National Post via Kukla's Corner and it seemed pretty accurate as to the state of the modern day hockey goon. They're disappearing.
Anyway, I bring this up on the Hurricanes forum when some, well, uninformed person suggested that we resign Jesse Boulerice as a free agent. After laughing for a while, I responded that Jesse was a nice guy and all, but I doubt he'll ever play in the pros again. I mentioned some of the other goons who are having trouble getting signed (Simon, Domi, etc.)
I mentioned Laraque's trouble getting resigned in Edmonton and another posted said Laraque is a bad example because he signed with Phoenix.
OK, in what universe is Phoenix signing Laraque for two years, 2.4 million rational? He is big and strong, great, but he has broken 20 points once in his career and got a whopping 12 in the wide open NHL last season. MacTavish gave him little to no ice time in the Finals except when he was trying to kill people at the end of game 2.
Yet Phoenix signs him for 1.2 million, the same amount they signed Roenick for. He makes more than Kevyn Adams, Trevor Letowski, Craig Adams, Chad LaRose, and makes the same amount as Mike Commodore and Glen Wesley. Goons that can't contribute in some other ways (I don't recall him being on the power play when it mattered or the penalty kill ever) shouldn't make significantly more than the league minimum. I mean, what in the hell are they paying him for?
I guess that Phoenix signing Laraque, to me, represents a huge reality disconnect on their part. It just seems funny. I wonder if, at next season's end, they'll be happy with that contract.
Sunday, July 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Meh--what that poster was getting at is that even though Le GG wasn't wanted in the 'Chuk, he was still wanted. He's not necessarily totally disagreeing with you so much as saying "Dude, apples and oranges".
The Era of the Goon is declining, but it's not totally gone yet.
Yeah. I read that about Boulerice and decided to leave it alone. To say that his skills are limited would be a gross overstatement.
Laraque, though, is slightly more skilled than the Bull. He was well liked in Edmonton for the same reasons that Boulerice was liked here in 2003. As you correctly point out, there's no room for the common goon anymore. From what I gather, they like him also because he's a bit of a goofball.
I also suspect that part of his "fan favorite" status has to do with the fact that he's a racial minority, and is therefore given benefit of doubt by the fans. I would bet that if Le GG was a white dude, nobody would give a crap about him. Did we like Kevin Weekes because he was a great goaltender? No. We liked Kevin Weekes because he is black and he was a decent goaltender. People will deny this, but deep down, they know it's true.
It takes more than being a "fan favorite" to be useful in the NHL, though.
I'm not sure what the hell Phoenix is thinking. As a skater, he's lousy. More of a liability than an asset.
Yeah, well there are some tough guys who can play. I know it's not over, but you're right AQ - it's definitely becoming an endangered species.
There is something to be said for being a character guy. I'm extremely surprised that Buffalo let Mike Grier walk - he was a huge character guy and actually has some game to speak of.
David, I don't know about the race=popularity argument. That's not an argument I'm prepared to make. The main reason I like Kevin Weekes is because the child of some season ticket holders is also a goalie and Kevin was really cool with him - asking him all about it and really being a standup guy. He was always very classy and friendly.
I was rather confused by the Jackets extending Jody Shelley's contract another two years. Like Boulerice and Laraque, he is liked by the players and fans in the city in which he plays but (at least Shelley) is lacking in the requisite skill to be a top 12 guy in the NHL.
LeGG would have taken less money to stay in Edmonton too but wanted a notrade clause (!?!?!)
Guy was great in the community, a real fan favourite as well.
But in one playoff game I believe he had three shifts. If you're on the 4th line you better be able to take a regular shift and be, well, a penalty killer, I think.
Big Georges just can't keep up and the Oilers are loaded with young wingers who can skate.
Phoenix will give him a load of icetime, which he needs, but I don't think its a good move.
Especially at that price.
Post a Comment