This is a little off topic. I mean, it's hockey, just not NHL/Hurricanes hockey. My skating is ... not so great. My primary problem is that I am comfortable only on three of my four edges. My right outside edge gives me serious problems and I am unsure how to correct it. I tried working on it today during an open skate, but I just don't have the same comfort level as when I use the outside edge of my left skate. Meaning I can do a nice and tight turn to the left but not so much to the right. My balance seems off and I'm not biting into the ice quite right.
Once I can correct that, I think I will be in much better shape as far as other things. For instance, I can cross-over left, but not really to the right for the same reason as listed above.
Any suggestions or helpful hints?
Thursday, October 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I have the same issues. Make a crossover skate around one of the circles part of your warmup routine. Start slow and then build as you get comfortable, and go both ways.
I find that my skating overal goes up during a game as my endurance collapses. I think I spend too much time during warmups shooting the puck vice getting my skating legs.
First off, make sure you have your skates sharpened evenly. It doesn't take a much to throw you off. If your outer edge is higher than your inner, you may be folding over to much to get on that edge. And laying a coin on the edges is cute and all, but not really practical, because you may be balancing on Lincoln's nose or something. It is considered bad form to test the edges like this in front of the guy who just sharpened them. Also, make sure the blade of your skate is straight (not bowed). I had this on a skate, and the difference fixing it made was stagering. You can lay a ruler along the blade to find out.
As I'm sure you know, everyone has a strong side. You turn well one way, and not so well the other. Some of this is just work at overcoming it, but gear has something to do with how you feel on your skates. Can I ask what kind of skates you have? Do you feel centered on the blade when you stand still? When you skate? I like when the people who write about hockey can skate. I think it gives a better appreciation for how hard the game really is to play.
Sorry, one other thing. Keep those knees bent, almost to an absurd point. It gives you more bite into the ice.
If I have said things you already know, just delete my comments. Good on ya!
I'll take any advice I can get, even stuff I "know". I just got my skates sharpened today (via the machine that does it evenly). I haven't tested to see if the blade is bowed though. I can do that tonight. That would suck.
I definitely have a strong side and I've known it for quite a while. It's so pronounced that it's embarrassing. I really can only effectively stop to the left and turning left is my strength. I can stop to the right, but it's ugly. I have a pair of used Grafs that once belonged to a Canes player, so I got a good deal on them. I can glide on my left skate fine, but I always feel a little off-balance on the right. That could just be me, though.
I keep my knees bent, but probably not enough. It's something I have to work on. Thanks!
Used NHL player skates? How stiff are the sides? I would think they would be broken down by now. I hear (but cannot confirm) that NHLers go through about 3 pairs a season. Which seams crazy to me, as I like the feel of mine the more I use them. I have a pair of Kor Shift 1 skates, which are the most comfortable skates known to man, even if they aren't well known.
If you are in the market for a new pair, and are on a budget, might I recomend the Nike Flexlite 10. The thing fits like a shoe, and is as comfy as a sneaker. I would have bought a pair, if my feet weren't wildly different from each other. They fit one foot, but not the other. Deals abound.
If you want to see how obcessed some people get over gear, head over to
http://www.modsquadhockey.com/
They love hockey gear, and love to talk about it, in detail.
I'll check it out. Thanks.
Post a Comment