Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Not quite Hurricane force

Well, the Canes have come out of the short off season with a noticeable limp. Nothing seems to be going right. I only got to watch the first period of the game tonight, as I had a hockey game of my own to play. When I stopped listening on the radio, Gelinas had just scored to make it 2-1. A 6-3 final is a bit much, I think. What in the hell is going on with this team?

The Hurricanes are now the first team in NHL history to start defense of its championship with four straight losses. I didn't see anything after the first period, like I said, so I don't know if it was a matter of effort, bad luck, solid goaltending (a 6-3 final makes me think this is not it), or just the fact that the Panthers were on fire. I just know that things need to be turned around right now. This losing streak matches the longest losing streak of our entire season last year.

It just takes one win to break the streak. They'd better get on it soon.

3 comments:

DrFrankLives said...

they suck. they absolutely suck,

I've seen this movie before. It doesn't end well. It ends with the team disintegrating and the coach being fired a year too late.

Is it that hard to show up and do their jobs?

Chris said...

I don't know if I'm ready to throw up the panic flag yet, but I'm definitely worried about the Post Cup Blues.

Black Dog said...

Too early to panic yet - way too early.

- Stillman and Kaberle are out
- loss of Ward and Cullen as well as rent a players
- Stanley Cup hangover
- everyone is gunning for them every single game
- the likely and natural feeling that they can get by without working because they are the defending Stanley Cup champs

The Oilers were 3 and 0 last year and then went winless for seven including some of the most demoralizing losses I have ever seen. Slumps starting the season are magnified hugely.

They will likely be alright although the fact that Atlanta and Florida both look improved leaves them a little less margin for error.

1) Realize that they won the Cup because they worked - yes, they have talent but they need to work
2) Realize that they have to work harder because they have huge targets on their backs now
3) New players have to work into the team - although apparently the new guys have been pretty solid there still is some adjustment needed

If they are still looking poor at the 20 game mark then you can get nervous - San Jose and Anaheim are two examples of teams that had awful starts last season and then roared back, even after a poor first quarter.