Monday, October 02, 2006

Promotion and PR

Desdemona asked for a comment or post concerning an article in the N&O concerning the lack of hockey players in ads.

I doubt this is a singular issue outside of Canada. It's something that the NHL, individual teams, and players' agents need to do a better job of. Historically, hockey has not been a sport of self-promoters. The team culture tended to discourage show boating and anyone showing up other players. This would often end with a sound beating to drive the point home. The American market likes that sort of thing - people may despise TO, Chad Johnson, Shaq, Kobe, etc., but they love them at the same time. This sort of behavior is very "not hockey", but a little bit of that could go a long way in making the sport more popular.

I'll tackle it specifically from the 'Canes' perspective now. The guys are very active in the community and are always participating or sponsoring in some event. Kevyn Adams is the most active from that point of view and always seems to be involved in something or another. Erik Cole, Mike Commodore, and Eric Staal have also made the rounds quite regularly. I heard Cam Ward in a commercial today (BCBS free flu shots) and he just became involved with the Special Olympics, something that is important to the Raleigh-area and other current and ex-Canes, like Ron Francis (his brother is a Special Olympian).

I know Eric Staal did a commerical for EA Sports NHL 2007 too, which is a step in the right direction. I think the market here has achieved legitimacy, but it needs now to grow and further develop roots. Among the older and traditional markets, we're still a sapling. The market has grown and prospered, but it's still young. It'll take time and this sort of thing doesn't happen overnight, no matter how many news articles decrying the lack of ads are published.

3 comments:

Chris said...

I believe people don't think about it as a possibility. This area is still adjusting to being a "pro town" and I'm sure the perception is that the players are really expensive or difficult to get.

It was my wife's idea to try and get a Hurricane player to come to the library for the reading program and Kevyn Adams came. They tried to do it for the opening of West Regional Library, but that coincided with the beginning of training camp.

I agree - I would have a player in my ads in a heartbeat, had I an ad to sell. :-)

Chris said...

I agree, Des. They have been in more ads lately, but I'm hoping to see a greater growth in that department. With the short off-season and busy schedule, I'm hoping some advertizers will take the plunge this year. Time Warner has Brindy in a spot that's been airing lately, which is nice.

We'll see what happens in the next few months.

DrFrankLives said...

Maybe it's the accents.

"Hi, I'm Eric Staal. If you're looking for info aboot an organEYEzation, turn to the yellow pages, eh?"