Thursday, January 04, 2007

Priorities

I posted this on my personal blog, but I find it quite relevant...

It's funny how things shift around without you realizing it. Since I've become more involved with my job, it has slowly risen up my priority chart and is now nicely settled in at #2, behind family. I would say 2b is playing ice hockey, 3 is writing/gaming, with 4 being watching hockey. It's crazy that watching the Hurricanes was one of my top priorities as previously as a few years ago. I just can't seem to find the time anymore. I miss it, but the time just isn't there. It's kind of weird, because I've always been someone in the loop when it comes to what's going on in the NHL and I feel somewhat disconnected at the moment.

I think I realized it when I made verbal something I have felt for a long while; an opinion not shared by some of my hockey teammates and others around the adult leagues: I would rather play than watch. Some rec league games fall on the same nights as Hurricanes home games, causing attendance at our games to be somewhat lower. I think that's crazy. If you love hockey and you play, I can't imagine not wanting to be on the ice. Playoffs are the different, of course, but it still depends.

That's not to say I don't keep up with the NHL and the Canes at all - I know when every game is and I try to listen and/or watch, but I never seem to have the time to do it as regularly as I would like. I have an embarrassing number of unused home game tickets that I am currently planning on using for the ticket exchange. In fact, if someone knows they want to go to a game, let me know in a comment - I have $52 tickets I'm willing to part with for $35 a piece - third row. There are some nights when babysitting, work schedules, and all other things align and I actually make a game, but more often than not something is up. It's kind of frustrating, but it's the truth,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You too may be suffering from Stanley Cup hangover.

Chris said...

Maybe. Life is just so much busier now for a variety of reasons. I've been able to keep up, but just not as much as I would like.

I think not having Center Ice this season has definitely contributed. I have watched several games this week since the free preview has been on.

I mean, I'll probably be at work 16 hours today (I have to miss tonight's game) and life is just moving too quickly for me to easily make every game. Between babysitting (my daughter needs her own ticket now) and sheer exhaustion, it's been tough to go.