Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Divided loyalties

This has nothing to do with the Canes and everything to do with hockey. I played in my rec league's All-Star Game tonight. In theory, from what I was told, the top fourteen scorers (of which I was one) and two additional players from each team would fill out the rosters. A little simple math tells me that each team should have 15 skaters (14 + 2x8) in addition to the top two goalies. This basic math is why I was a bit confused when both sides had less than half that number. All-Star Team 1 (Yellow-Green-White) beat All-Star Team 2 (Red-Blue-Black, my side) 5 to 1. Other than several of us getting confused as to which side the green-wearing Vipers were on while play was going on, it was a fun game.

Of course, Teams 1 and 2 did have some split loyalties. Team 1 had several of the league champion Vertigo on the roster, except for one guy who was inexplicably on Team 2 with us. One of our defensemen was on Team 1 with them, making a total of two split teams. It would have been three, but one of the two Vipers players jumped onto the other side since they were both wearing green. The other guys at least had different colored jerseys.

Again with the simple math, 14 skaters meant 7 skaters a side. That's one defensive sub and one forward sub at any given time. I'm just getting over a chest cold, so I'm pretty much wiped out right now. It was the same everywhere. Still, it was a free game and worth it. I'm just going to pay for it tomorrow morning.

No comments: