Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Heartbreak at the RBC (ECQF - Game 2)

Montreal jumped out on us early, 3-0. Gerber was yanked and Cam Ward got his first playoff action. He played really, really well and made some great saves. The Canes clawed back to within 1 and ended the second period with a 5 on 3 power play that extended into the third.

The Canes scored two quick powerplay goals at the start of the third and the building exploded - just a completely electric atmosphere. Unfortunately, the Canes seem to let up a bit and Montreal scored two quick to retake the lead 5-4. We tied it up with the goalie pulled to send it to overtime. We had our chances, but Montreal won in double overtime.

I would like to say, first off, that the officiating was horrible. The refs made some bad calls (the Brind'Amour goalie interference call was atrocious) and some horrible non-calls. The game is still played on the ice, but I think the refs have some serious explaining to do. It was a huge disservice to keep putting us down when it was unjustified.

Justin Williams was sent head first into the goal post with no call. Matt Cullen was tripped on a partial breakaway with no call. Just pathetic. The Brind'Amour call was just icing on the cake. There was plenty of interference that wasn't called too. It was very frustrating and, in the end, emotionally draining. My voice is nearly gone, I feel sick, I'm exhausted, and we didn't even get a win out of it. We need to win in Montreal to make this a series. Wednesday is crucial.

When we got home (around 11:30) Jenny was fine and the kids were sleeping. She said there were no problems and I saw her this morning at the daycare, so she obviously got home and got enough sleep to function. I didn't drag myself out of bed until 7:45, which was bad considering I have a 9:00 meeting every Tuesday morning and I knew I was going to be late. I stuffed a doughnut in Athena's mouth (and my own) and drove her to daycare.

I still was late for my conference call, but it wasn't too bad - luckily the part of the meeting where I had something to say was at the end. I still have a crapload of things to do here and, to boot, I was contacted by a recruiter for a game company. I have to get back to her today with the answers to a questionnaire she sent me. Wish me luck.


Post-Game Quotes
Flavor of the Game

No comments: